- What is the greatest predictor of LBP? A study in Utah showed that having a first-degree relative with LBP gives you a 4.15 relative risk. Of course, things like occupation and advanced age are risk factors, too.
- The posterior iliac crest is the best physical marker of L4-L5
- How to evaluate for disc herniation on physical exam:
- Most sensitive test: direct straight leg raise
- Most specific test: crossed straight leg raise
- To test the femoral nerve, have the patient lie on their side and hyperextend their hip.
- You should always encourage your patients to do exercises for lower back pain: pelvic tilt, rotations, bird-dog, knee to chest, piriformis. Ordering physical therapy is almost always the right answer.